Getting kids into golf with Online Golf #OGgetkidsintogolf
Thanks so much to Online Golf and Golphin for a fun afternoon in Manchester, learning how to play golf from golf pros. We have played golf before, of course. If you can count trying to putt around pirates or dinosaurs, and the odd windmill. If crazy golf doesn’t count, then no, we haven’t really played any proper golf. I’m not sure it’s something the girls are desperate to be too involved with, but we have a rule in this house, and that’s we should try anything new when we get the opportunity. So off we trotted to Manchester one sunny Saturday to get a little taste of proper golf from expert coaches and pro golfers.
Our first exercise was to learn how to putt correctly. Our pro golfer showed us the ‘tick-tock’ technique, which was a bit more controlled than our usual ‘whack it and hope for the best’ technique. It did help us to a better score on the practice ‘greens’ and some of us may have even got a hole-in-1.
Once we’d (almost) mastered putting, we moved around to chipping. For this, we had to try and get the ball into a bucket with a score on. It was good fun, if not very productive. The 12-year old was pretty good but the rest of us were rubbish. Never mind – you can’t be ultra-talented in everything!
Next came driving. Which was a bit more up our ‘whack it and hope for the best’ street. The twins were savages here. Thankfully, Golphin had provided kid-friendly golf clubs and balls, so damage was minimal.
Then we took all our learned skills and put them to test on Golf Bowling, and target practice. Look at the concentration on her face! She was determined to get her ball on the target and beat her sisters.
We had a fun afternoon learning to play golf and will be using our new-found skills to get the better of those windmills next time!
You can learn more about the event at http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/blog/OGGetKidsIntoGolf.html
Here are five reasons why kids should get into golf, courtesy of Online Golf
Top 5 reasons why Kids should get into golf
- Every kid can play golf! For golf you don’t have to be tall, strong or fast or lean. Successful golfers come in all shapes, sizes and ages.
- It’s low-risk! Chances of injuries in golf are very small to non-existent compared to other popular sports like soccer, football or rugby. Being no-contact, golf is a very safe, respectful sport.
- It’s healthy! Golf is an outdoors sport giving your kid the opportunity to exercise al fresco whilst enjoying nature.
- It creates bonds with friends & family! Whether your kid plays golf with family members, friends or takes lessons with a pro, mentoring and playing together will create unique and close bonds that will last a lifetime.
- Your kid will learn important life lessons! Playing golf your kid will experience highs and lows, from the first hole-in-one or birdie to a misplaced shot in a bunker. Golf will teach your kid that though we can’t always win, we always have another shot in life and skill comes with practice.
Disclosure – we were guests of Online Golf at this event