On a gloriously sunny Yorkshire Sunday, we headed over to outlet village Junction 32 in Castleford to have a bit of a mooch around the shops, have some lunch, and most importantly; to play Pirate Island Adventure Golf!
We took our four young swashbucklers to try out a round of 18 holes on this very fun, pirate-themed crazy golf course. The whole course has 36 holes in total, and you can pay for just one 18-hole course, or for two (with a price reduction for the second course).
For one round of golf, you choose (or are allocated) one of two 18-hole courses – we got Skull Cove. It’s 18 holes of crazy golf on an island theme. There are barrels, and pirate models, and a crocodile. There is also pirate-themed background music on a loop.
We had a lot of fun. It got a bit competitive. The three-year olds liked counting their ‘shots’ and declared ‘three’ when they successfully put the ball in the hole, even though I *think* they used a few more than that!
There were cages to fish out wayward golf balls, though the design of the course and each of the greens meant that wayward balls were a novelty rather than the rule. Each green is fake grass, and fake sand in the bumpers. It is all very well done.
Our favourite bit was a self-propelled raft across the water-course – the girls went first, and then sent the raft back for me Dad, and then pulled us across too.
We got round all 18 holes still talking to each other, although the three-year olds had got bored by about hole 10. One of them sobbed when she lost her ball on the last hole (the hole swallowed it, as expected).
The score card said Dad had won, but we didn’t take any notice of it. We had a lot of fun, and it was a brilliant way to welcome something resembling a summer’s day to Yorkshire.
A quick trip to the ice-lolly cabinet, we said a great big arrrrrrgh to the pirates, and headed off to the play area just opposite.
|The play area at Junction 32|
For more information please visit their website – Pirate Island Castleford
Please note, this review is of the Pirate Island Adventure Golf in Junction 32, NOT the Volcano Adventure Golf in Xscape next door (it can be confusing!).
- Junction 32 is signposted off J32 of the M62 at Castleford. It is a shopping outlet village, and is pretty good!
- Parking is free and ample.
- There are no toilets in the Pirate Island Golf facility, but there are some in Junction 32 itself, and in some of the shops/cafes.
- Visit time – around 40 minutes
- Family tickets start at £20 for one 18-hole course for 2+2.
- 3s and under are free of charge.
- There are golf clubs of several sizes and they had one to suit all of our party, which included adults, a nine-year old, a six-year old, and three-year olds.
Disclosure – we were given complimentary entry to be able to do this review